Tuesday, June 07, 2005

In the News today:

The Blair/Bush Meeting:

Yes indeedy. Africa, standing with its hands outstretched and begging for aid and debt-relief. Why am I feeling the deja-vu sensation?

I totally agree that poverty and famine should be fought, but I don't know if begging for money off the rich countries is the answer. I don't know what the answer is, though, so I'm still open on that one.

New Harry Potter Book!

Now this, I am very exited about. Can't wait, in fact. I'm not sure when it will be released here in SA, but it oughtn't be too long after the UK and US releases, wot wot?

Experimental Ebola Vaccine Works in Monkeys

This is excellent news. Ebola and Marburg disease have been wreaking havok in Central Africa for a while now, especially among the really young. Obviously it needs more research, but it's certainly a heartening turn of events, for those of us in Africa at least.

SA military fights 'war' on Aids

Another story that is very relevant to us here in Dark Africa. HIV/AIDs really is an immense problem, and one that is of such proportions that every single person in South Africa either has AIDs or know someone who does. It's really affecting everyone... from little things like men having to curb their tempers because hitting some guy could involve blood and transmission (Yes, this happened to a guy I know) to having to strictly keep our kids from biting, to... well. The implications are just legio.

I personally think that this estimate of 23% is way, way conservative, but hey. That's just me. Maybe the Army rats (we have tons of friends in the army, so I can say that) know something we "regulars" or "civvies" don't.

Mental Illness said to affect one quarter of Americans

Wouldn't surprise me at all... not because of this and that, but mental illness really is more prevalent than we want to believe. I myself suffer from a mental illness... the psych can't decide wether it's Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder... or just plain depression. I have no clue myself, only know that I've been feeling lanks better these days. That's good enough for me.

That's about it for the news of today... though I must that I'm a bit too tired to really get into it. Maybe tomorrow?

No comments: