Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A rose by any other name...

So, I've been away for a week or so, visiting family etc. In that time, what struck me is how people react to the name you have chosen!

Take me, for instance. Hubby and me have decided, since before we knew what it was, that if it was a girl, her name would be Logan. Yes, I know in America it's a terrible name, but here in South Africa it's really wonderful. Names are cultural, you know. You'd almost never met an American named Bongani or Siyabonga, yet these are two very common names here. So keep that in mind before you offload on me on how it is a boy's name. Just because that's the way it is where you live doesn't make it the way it is here where I live.

Anyway, my family frowns on it (or that's the impression I get) because it's not "Afrikaans" enough, if you can believe it! Now I'd be the first to admit that our surname is pretty much the definition of a traditional, Afrikaans surname. Which is why I want our baby to have an English first name that's easily pronouncable in Afrikaans too. Only thing is, no one in my family seems to "get" that!

Ah well, luckily they had their chance to name their kids, now it's my turn, bwhahaha.

Now it may seem to some that I'm obsessed with the "name" thing, but it's getting pretty important, seeing as how we're already in week 32 of the pregnancy!

Anyway, for a middle name we're (by which I mean I am) considering either "Danielle" or "Gabrielle". Not Daniella, or Gabriella, since those are too "Afrikaans" (and too long, our surname's a mouthfull). Both of those are names that I would have liked as first names, but Logan is the only one hubby and me can agree on, so Logan it is.

Of course, my naming worries are absolutely nothing compared to the problems the US government has with that spy plane that went down! Maybe I should name the baby Roswell, and give the US government something else to deny.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Family will always have opinions, but the name is the first gift you give your baby, so it should be one that you love, and others will grow to love it too.

The Complimenting Commenter said...

I think that you should forget about what they think. Logan is a wonderful name and your daughter will enjoy it. It's nice.

Zebra said...

I think Logan is a very nice name. I like the fact that your name was derived from a Star Wars character.